[Asterisk-Users] telco access ?s -- PRI, T1, POTS?

john lawler maillist at tgice.com
Tue Nov 18 10:04:15 MST 2003

Hi guys,

I'm new to the telco game and still pretty new to Asterisk, although
I've been using it for a couple of months now and like most of what I
see.  At my office, we've got a small two extension setup w/ two Digium
cards for a single FXO line and three FXS extensions, but I'm also
working on designing a larger installation for a customer which will
involve ~16 analog handsets that I'll be running through a Rhino
Equipment channel bank to a Digium T1.  My question is all about what
type of phone service would be recommended for my local provider.

I purchased a CAC FXO channel bank to interface with a second Digium T1
card that I've got, and ran some small scale tests on that which seemed
to go fine, and I'm sure this solution would be *sufficient* for the
customer, but I know he would like to be able to do DID, which, from
conversations w/ SBC in my area, I've discovered requires something
other than POTS.  We'll be looking to have roughly 10-12 phone lines for
both inbound and outbound (as you'd have in the POTS world), or w/e the
PRI, etc. equivalent would be.

So the real question is, from all of your experience, assuming my local
telco can provide me w/ any possible solution, what would you all
recommend I choose?  Some sort of fractional T1 line w/ DID trunks for
incoming and POTS for outbound calls (pardon my description of these
solutions if they are inaccurate--again, I'm new to the game) or what
else?

The other main point I should make is that both the customer and myself
are interested in a solution where we could, in an emergency, or in the
event my configuration of Asterisk is inadequate, switch back over to a
situation where we could at least place and receive all calls using the
analog handsets.  (E.g., from what I know about this stuff, I suppose I
could plug the Rhino FXS channel bank into an incoming T1 line which
would then split all the lines into analog which my phones could then
plug right into--of course, if I went w/ a straight POTS solution, we
could obviously just plug 10-12 of the analog handsets into the lines
and at least answer the phones (albeit in a haphazard manner)).

I apologize for the length of this question, but I figured some of the
knowledgeable people on this list would've had some experience in these
areas.

Thanks,

jl