[Asterisk-Users] Swissvoice ip10s MGCP questions and experiences

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Nov 18 08:34:00 MST 2003

Hi there,

here some questions and experiences after playing for one day with 3
Swissvoice ip10s and the latest * CVS:

QUESTIONS:
- what is the user option "enter voice mail number" good for? It doesn't
appear to be of any practical use
- does anyone have some Swissvoice info that I cannot find on their web
site like the guide to MGCP XML (.svd), guide to configuration file
format (.cfg), guide to phone configuration through TELNET?
- do I need two lines ("aaln/1" and "aaln/2") or just one in my mgcp.conf
(since the ip10 appears to support two lines)?
- are there any specs available for the format of the operator/ user
logo? Must this be b/w, or can it be greyscale (2 bit/ 4 bit/ 8 bit?). As
I understand both .gif and .jpg are fine. Pixel size?
- how can I obtain newer firmware that hopefully solves my crash problem?

WORKING:
- simple calls, phone book, hands-free
- MWI: F4 key lights up when messages are available
- pick-up: Assign the pick-up function together with *6 to F2.
- assign FLASHING to F1
- DoNotDisturb (on F3) works as expected
- blind transfer using #

NOT or PARTIALLY WORKING:
- I can only set the "phone name" via display --> free idle text?
- with F4 configured as voicemail function: pressing that key dials "#"
and I must modify extension.conf to point # to VoiceMailMain2? Is there
no way to change the number dialed by the voicemail button?
- MWI: the button lights up/extinguishes only when some kind of phone
activity occurs; without any activity it might actually indicate wrong
info (e.g. when user already check vm via web)
- during startup the phone nicely display the "waiting for call agent"
message; however when the call agent (call manager?) * disappears
afterwards the phones do not display that waiting message... :-(
- is there any way to make the "service key" do anything useful?
Currently it has no function at all.
- crash: let the two ip10 ring the third ip10 at the same time (without
lifting the handset) - in the moment the 2nd phone is calling the third
phone crashes and must be rebooted. I can reproduce this 100% with any of
the three phones. :-(
- the three call forward (CF) functions that can be assigned to the
function keys F1-F4 don't appear to be useful. Instead of arrange an
internal phone call forward this will immediately (!) dial the forward
number entered at the very moment this function is activiated.
- I can successfully use FLASHING (F1) for consultative transfer, however
I get into bad trouble if the consulted extension does not like to take
the call and hangs up --> there is apparently no way to get back to my
original caller, although I see both lines in the display and can move my
cursor up and down on them. This might also be an * problem.
- web interface: "save current phone settings as profile" doesn't appear
to be working, I see only 1 line displayed
- despite the seemingly permitted nat=yes entry I so far found no way to
get this phone working from behind NAT (I know that MGCP as such probably
will never work behind NAT, but still... by the way there is a new RFC on
the road to attack this issue...)

NOTES:
- always restart (not reload) Asterisk after modifying mgcp.conf!
- mgcp.conf doesn't like the following keywords:
    disallow=
    allow=
    callwaitingcallerid=
    fromuser=
- the display is fine and equipped with nice logos, icons etc. The only
thing that it is missing is the backlight, but I guess I can live with
that...
- the menu is well organized and easily understood and navigated
- I don't think it is acceptable to only include a single A5 sheet of
paper and not have ANY other printed user documentation shipped with
the phone. A web-based PDF is ok, but there should be more...

Greetings,
Philipp

== hard/software info ==

Phone name Ext.987