[Asterisk-Users] Radius on *

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 17 17:35:42 MST 2003

> No and there is absolutely no need for it to.   RADIUS is not anything
> that should have ever been deployed in a VoIP environment.

I love the small-mindedness that some people on these lists show.  "I have
absolutely no need for it, therefore there is no need for it at all."

> There are many methods to talk directly to a database, why add another
> layer of complexity and point of failure?

How about standardization?  If you have 50k accounts in a RADIUS system and
you want to provide VOIP services to them as well, it is far easier to
maintain to have a RADIUS access method for * than it is to try and keep
two sets of practically identical data. In fact, I bet you'd save yourself
more time and headache by writing your own * RADIUS implementation than
trying to keep two separate sets of data.  I bet there is no use for LDAP
in your world, either, since it's just another level of complexity that
that badass database MySQL can handle trivially.

You're probably correct that there is no need for RADIUS in a VOIP-only
environment but I don't think this is what Sebastian's asking.

Of course I am not asking _you_ to write the RADIUS access library (and I
sure hope that Sebastian is not implying the same), but at the same time I
implore you to think a little more globally than your own business.  I am
happy that Vonage is doing good for you and that you've made a name for
yourself, but it doesn't mean you're top dog in the VOIP world and know
what is and isn't good for Asterisk to the general populace.

Regards,
Andrew