[Asterisk-Users] Static Config?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 17 12:01:15 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:37, Storm D. J. Petersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to asterisk.  After fiddling a bit I got it to work. It seems great.
> One question though, is it possible to configure asterisk when it is
> running?  i.e. add new phones or do you have to restart it every time you
> want to make changes?

Depends on the type of changes you do. Changes to the dialplan are easy
and can be made with the reload command. Some services in asterisk
reread their config on each call so as to have the newest copy to use
all the time. Some changes need a restart. I think the zapata channels
require a restart. Of course if you are changing them, you probably are
in the middle of either hardware changes or initial setup, so restarting
isn't as inconvenient. I'm not sure about the VoIP drivers and how they
handle the configs as I haven't needed to worry about them of late.