[Asterisk-Users] Overhead Paging - app notes

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Nov 14 14:39:50 MST 2003

[apologies for the -dev cross-post, but I feel this might be worthy
of examination by the residents of that less-flooded list]

Multicast is very elegant, but usually unworkable, and mostly
unsupported for SIP devices, so I would avoid going further down that
path.

I think that Dustin has the right idea: an application needs to be
written for both paging and intercom.  The "Intercom" application is
really just an app that does what I've been doing with really ugly
call spooling - it creates a semi-dynamic MeetMe room with a bit more
control.  The pager is a slight modification on the same application.

I would suggest, however, that it is written not as a specific
solution for SIP but as a solution for all channel types, since
limiting ourselves to just SIP seems to be a bit heavy-handed and not
in the spirit of Asterisk's multi-channel philosophy.  By allowing
any channel type, these two apps can support paging over multiple
Asterisk platforms by allowing IAX connections to chain the audio
streams to multiple remote hosts, thus using a "tree" approach to
localize audio storms across WAN segments.  Here are my ideal
first-cut manual pages for the two apps...

Page(Technology/resource[&Technology2/resource2...][|options])
   Requests one or more channels and places calls to those channels in
a broadcast-only mode.  Devices are responsible for ensuring that
appropriate methods are used to transmit the audio to a suitable
broadcast medium, if desired.  All resources are dialed, and as soon
as the last resource has answered, a high/low "ready" one will be
played to the caller, indicating that all participants are ready for
the page announcement.  If at least one channel/resource answers,
then if either side hangs up the line the application will exit with
-1.
     'A(x)' -- Plays an attention-getting file (usually a set of
tones) over the pager channel before playing the "ready" tones to the
caller.
     'q'    -- Do not play tones
     'w(x)' -- Wait time, in milliseconds, that the application will
wait for the last resource to pick up the line.  If w milliseconds
expires but at least one resource has answered, then a low/low/high
"ready" tone series will be played for the caller to indicate that
not all callers are participating in the bridge.  If no resources
answer, a low/low/low "not ready" tone will be played, and the
channel will hang up with status 0.  Calls that answer after w
milliseconds are added to the audio stream as they answer, but will
not hear the whole announcement.

Intercom(Technology/resource[&Technology2/resource2...][|options])
   Requests one or more channels and places calls to those channels in
a multi-way chat.  All resources are dialed simultaneously, and as
soon as channels answer, a low/high tone is played in the
"conference" indicating that a new user has joined the conference.
    'A(x)' -- Plays an attention-getting file (usually a set of tones)
over the pager channel before playing the "ready" tones to the caller.
    'q'    -- Do not play tones as callers enter/exit the conference bridge
    'w(x)' -- Wait time, in seconds, for at least one resource to
answer.  If expired, exit with 0.

JT