[Asterisk-Users] Can TDM400P RJ45 connect 4-RJ11 analog phone

Sean P. Robertson spr at netxusa.com
Fri Nov 14 11:03:52 MST 2003

> I have buy a Asterisk Developer's Kit, there  include Wildcard X100P &
> TDM400P(10B)
> The TDM400P module is RJ45 connector(8 line Jack), but RJ11 analog phone
> only need 2 line
> Is it possible to connect TDM400P module1 with four RJ11 analog phone(use
> cat.5 network line)
> ex. pin1,2 -> first analog phone, pin3,4 -> secondary analog phone,
.....and
> so on.

It is a good thought, but the resource modules on the board are 1 to 1 with
the physical ports. Basically, only the center two wires on the 8 wire ports
are live.  If they were interested in doing so, I guess Digium could make
the modules smaller or the boards longer to make an 8 or even a 12 port
board based on the number of available wire pairs on the board.

> If it is not possible, why TDM400P disign with RJ45 Jack(8 pin)?

I do not know the answer to this, but I can say that many of the traditional
PBX/Key systems in the market today have the 8 wire port connectors even on
single line cards and trunk cards (Both of which only use two wires).  Maybe
it is so you can use the same patch cables for everything???

> btw, Could anyone suggest suitable hardware for 4x16 or 8x32 PBX system?
> If i choice TDM400P(40B), i must plug 4 TDM400P(40B) card to support 16
> telphone?

I think that most people gravitate toward the T-1 boards and channel banks
for larger systems.

Sean