[Asterisk-Users] RE: Aculab SS7/ISUP

Freddi Hansen fh at danovation.dk
Fri Nov 14 04:05:06 MST 2003

>>> Not yet, I am still porting applications from our old properitary box to
>>> the Asterisk base. There's a lot of stuff that work diffrent and I have to
>>> add quite a bit of code to run a site that consist of an array of '*' servers.
>>> Issues are like database replication, locating which server the SIP user is registered on
>>> a.s.o. The old systems are build around Aculab cards and some of theses systems use
>>> the SS7 but not in a mix with '*' yet. We did some analasys of the SS7 issue before we
>>> started on the '*' road. We decided that we need different approaches depending upon
>>> the size of the '*' site.
>>>
>>> Big site (upto 16 servers) would use the Milborne box from Datakinetec in UK. It's a
>>> signalling converter that does all the heavy SS7 stuff. Each server would still carry
>>> 2 TE410P cards. The channel driver would be rather simple since you get the signalling
>>> over tcp (Q931) in the format like 'incoming call in port 5 timeslot 10'.
>>>
>>> For smaller systems the Aculab card with 2 E1 lines and 2 ethernet interfaces could be a solution.
>>> The last release from them that I used did allow you to define a CIC code map that
>>> would span 2 extra TE410P cards and still let the Aculab handle the signalling.
>>> This does ofcourse still require a new '*' channel driver but it wouldn't need to deal
>>> with the SS7 stack (only Q931).
>>>
>>> I hope that I soon will get some time to play with this stuff again.
>>> Freddi
>>

>Instead of bothering the channel driver, sounds like you just need to
>modify libpri then to handle the Q931 coming from a source other than a
>zap channel. Would be much simpler I hope to handle it this way than to
>write a special driver.
> -- Steven Critchfield

I realized by re-reading my mail that it can mislead a bit. The Q931
statemachine is embedded on the Aculab card and '*'
interface will have to be through the standard Aculab API  which  more
or less sits on top of a Q931. I am still a newbie
to '*'  so I am not ready to take a headdive into that project yet.
b.r.
Freddi