[Asterisk-Users] fax extension isn't executed

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Nov 13 21:52:32 MST 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 20:26, yamamoto at paak.co.jp wrote:
> Hi
> I'm tring to use asterisk as IVR.  But I have trouble when I
> recieve fax.
> When I recieve fax, asterisk show message to looks redirect
> incoming fax to "fax" extension. But scripts in "fax"
> extension never execute. Timeout happen later(I think this
> timeout is caused by DigitTimeout).
> Somebody have some suggestion?

Asterisk only moves to the fax extension if it detects CNG tones.  Some
fax machines send it, some don't.  You may want to listen to the fax
machine as it's sending.  If it starts with a tone immediately after
dialling, before the remote side has a chance to answer (or even ring),
that's a CNG tone.  If you hear nothing, then the sending fax isn't
sending the tone (so there's no way for Asterisk to detect the fax).

-Tilghman