[Asterisk-Users] RE: Aculab SS7/ISUP (new subject)

Freddi Hansen fh at danovation.dk
Thu Nov 13 15:50:53 MST 2003

>Freddi Hansen wrote:
>> with boards from Aculab, we are replacing Aculab boards with Digium
>> boards BUT we would need more
>> Digium boards IF we could use both Digium and Aculab cards in the same
>> server. The reason being that
>> TE410P doesn't support SS7-ISUP so we continue using only Aculab cards
>> in the servers that must support
>> SS7/ISUP.
>
>Do you use the Aculab SS7/ISUP together with Asterisk somehow?
>
>/Olle

Not yet, I am still porting applications from our old properitary box to
the Asterisk base. There's a lot of stuff that work diffrent and I have to
add quite a bit of code to run a site that consist of an array of '*' servers.
Issues are like database replication, locating which server the SIP user is registered on
a.s.o. The old systems are build around Aculab cards and some of theses systems use
the SS7 but not in a mix with '*' yet. We did some analasys of the SS7 issue before we
started on the '*' road. We decided that we need different approaches depending upon
the size of the '*' site.

Big site (upto 16 servers) would use the Milborne box from Datakinetec in UK. It's a
signalling converter that does all the heavy SS7 stuff. Each server would still carry
2 TE410P cards. The channel driver would be rather simple since you get the signalling
over tcp (Q931) in the format like 'incoming call in port 5 timeslot 10'.

For smaller systems the Aculab card with 2 E1 lines and 2 ethernet interfaces could be a solution.
The last release from them that I used did allow you to define a CIC code map that
would span 2 extra TE410P cards and still let the Aculab handle the signalling.
This does ofcourse still require a new '*' channel driver but it wouldn't need to deal
with the SS7 stack (only Q931).

I hope that I soon will get some time to play with this stuff again.
Freddi