[Asterisk-Users] I hate to do this but..

Anton L. Kapela kapela at mwdt.com
Thu Nov 13 11:17:29 MST 2003

Jeremy McNamara said:

> Flebay it and use the proceeds to support Digium by purchasing Zaptel
> hardware.  http://www.digium.com/

I like the zaptel cards, I really do. The price per port is better
than other fxo/fxs's in almost all cases and the support I've received
from Digium is second to none. However, deploying several pbx's for
friends (and using the X100p's), I've come to find that the echo
cancellation to be sub-par when contrasted with other makers. I
realize ecan is a huge and complex issue, but it's central to really
convincing me to 'buy' more Digium hardware.

Such is the catch-22; it seems we need people to buy/support Digium in
hopes that they can improve things overall -- hoping this includes
work on dsp.c to achieve better ecan. It's difficult to recommend that
someone buy 4 or 6 ports of fxo knowing that they'll probably be
complaining to me about excessive echo.

Note: I've tried every possible echo suppressor listed in the
Makefile, and so far Mark2 + aggressive suppression works best, at the
sacrifice of FDX. I'd like FDX and aggressive ecan. <G> This isn't a
jab at zaptel or Mark, this note is to highlite one issue I've had
recommending Digium hardware.

--Tk