[Asterisk-Users] OT: Document Control System?

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 12 12:54:21 MST 2003

Chris Albertson wrote:

>The new "OpenOffice" works very well now and is completley
>cross platform.  It also allows one to save in any of a
>serval file formats.  I've been using it to produce
>HTML, PDF and plain text format copies of documentation.
>and I can run this same Open Office suite on Solaris, Linux
>and Windows.

 I, unfortunately live in a mostly WIN environment, but I have also
migrated to OpenOffice from MS WinWord for several reasons.  First, it
does a better job handling graphics (most of the time), second, it's
just as flexible and easier to use for formatted documents, and third,
it's not MS.  Here's a fun experiment for those of you whose favorite
document preparation tool is still MS WinWord.  Take any Word format
document, preferably one that is over 100K in size.  Load it into
OpenOffice.  The file translation is not perfect, but it's pretty good
and getting better. Now save the file in OpenOffice format.  Finally
look at the comparative file sizes. If your experience is anything like
mine,  I suspect that you will be surprised.  Oh, by the way, did I
mention that it is free!!

Stephen R. Besch