[Asterisk-Users] IAX/IAX2 encryption?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 18:30:04 MST 2003

There is nothing you can use that will help you if the machine
itself is not trusted.  Hardware encryption can't help if the
USB port or sound card on the PC is "bugged".  It would be easy
to write a device driver for a sound card that sent data out
some back door.  If you are _very_ concerned your only option
is to bring your own notebook PC along with you.

A lot has been written on the subject of secure communications
using computers but the bottom line is easy:  Just don't send
cleartext through an untrusted path.

--- Emanuele Pucciarelli <ep at acm.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > The PGP documentation suggestes that users cary their key
> > in a floppy and never copy the key file to the hard disk.
> > So your "little black plastic key" is a floppy with the write
> > tab punched out.
>
> Maybe I've missed an important turn in this thread, but it seems to
> me
> that the discussion was about encrypting phone conversations when
> users
> are "on the road".  Wouldn't using a floppy disk or a pen drive with
> your own private key on an untrusted machine defy the whole purpose
> of
> keeping it private?
>
> Probably it can be helpful anyway in most situations, and is surely
> better than no encryption at all, but it seems to me that a good
> solution to the problem implies some kind of smart encryption device
> (why not on USB, rather than a smart card!); that should be enough to
> foil also man-in-the-middle attacks, if at least one endpoint is
> already
> trusted.
>
> Bye,
>
> --