[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Polycom Soundpoint IP600

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Tue Nov 11 12:16:08 MST 2003

It's odd, they have a relationship with Avaya, 3com and Cisco in the IP
realm. The appearance and function of both the IP600 and IP500 are very
similar to the cisco products that they are like(7960 and 7940) but the
software is very different not to mention that Polycom doesn't even have
it's own softswitch to use these phones with. It seems like they will just
make phones and leave the switching and gateways up to other people. At
least I am partially comforted by the following statement on their website:

	"businesses can be assured that Polycom and its Technology Partners
conduct continual rigorous development and testing to ensure
interoperability, ease-of-use, and reliability. In fact, Polycom is
developing a complete line of groundbreaking VoIP endpoints that will
continue to enhance productivity, save time, save money, and provide
enhanced services for all of today and tomorrow's business communications
needs."

These are great phones and much cheaper than their Cisco counterparts. I
hope that they can make their programming information on these phones a
little more easily available to us non-multi-billion-dollar-corporations
types.

MATT---