[Asterisk-Users] IAX/IAX2 encryption?

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Tue Nov 11 08:08:03 MST 2003

> If you're looking for encryption enough to foil casual sniffers why not just
> use something like DES1 or even straightforward and fast XOR encryption and
> use a hash of the call ID, trunking messages and rekey with new values
> every few seconds (let's say with a random sample of the unencrypted audio
> from the stream) -- the only hard part is verifying that both sides have
> that particular packet.

I think AES is a good choice since it operates on 16-byte blocks and is
considered very strong (and of course, i already have an implementation on
the iaxy).  The devil is in the details though, so I'd be interested in
hearing details.  There would need to be support for both a shared-key
model and for a model where (if RSA authentication is used), the key can
be negotiated just for the session.  How does that sound?

Mark