[Asterisk-Users] IAX/IAX2 encryption?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 18:25:56 MST 2003

The below is all correct.  In fact the US DoD has very restrictive
and conservative rules about how some types of data are handled.
Basically if it leaves a trusted area it will so through a hardware
crypto box.
Some of the rules are to ensure that data are protectied even if
the hardware is badly misconfigured or broken.  It has to be that
way when you are literaly betting someones life that there can be
no possibilty of error.  So yes, between servers use some kind of
trusted, well-debugged crypto system.

But there are reasons why you might want encryption built into
IAX(2)

1) For clients.  Someone may want to "call home" using a
notebook computer and it would be far simpler if  you din't have to
set up a VPN

2) A user may not have control over the network.  For example,
I may want to run an IAX client on a computer where I do not
have root access.

3) dumb users.  Many people don't know what a VPN is but could
(maybe) install a zip'd IAX client or at least be able to find the
local "computer expert" who knows how to un-zip a zip file.

4) keeping users isolated. Everyone on the "black" side of the VPN
box could in theory hear each other.  The best place to put the
encryption would be inside the handset, so even spyware on the PC
could not intercept any cleartest data.

The "VPN box in the server room" only works in the special case
where everyone on the Ethernet LAN is trusted.  In a large
enough organiation this will not be the case.

5) you may very well want touse public key cryptogrphy where each
USER (not each computer or each office) encrypts using his/her
public key.  User this kind of setup users can be absolutly
certain of who they are talking too.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com