[Asterisk-Users] Edit GSM audio files

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Nov 10 07:28:40 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 07:10, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> sox asdf.gsm asdf.wav
>
> ...and use your favourite sound clip editor

To expand a little on Roy's answer, the GSM format we use in asterisk
has no header on it. The sox line Roy supplied will put the raw gsm file
into RIFF format so your windows machine will understand what data it
has inside of it. When you get done editing your file and it is time to
bring it back to your asterisk server, you will need to swap the
direction of the sox command so that it will once again be a headerless
file for the unix world.

Oh, and the gsm formats are slightly different too, but the RIFF header
was the biggy.