[Asterisk-Users] Making a Skinny phone talk to Asterisk

Siggi Langauf langausd at swt.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Nov 10 05:34:57 MST 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Florian Overkamp wrote:

> At 15:07 1-11-2003 -0600, you wrote:
> >Last I checked skinny firmware would try to connect to a host that would
> >resolve to CiscoCM1
>
> Actually that is just a last-resort. Before that it will try and find the
> callmanager by looking for some special DHCP flag, and if that is not
> around it will try the setting for next-server (which is a DHCP option
> also). Some phones even try the DHCPserver itself if the above fails.

Funny, mine always tries to connect to CiscoCM1 _first_, but maybe I just
failed about the right DHCP setup...

You can also run ith with totally static configuration though:
Just clear all network settings, disable DHCP and configure a static IP
address, Netmask & Gateway via the phone's setup menu.
It will then connect to whatever server you have told it to use as "TFTP"
server on next boot, ie even if you don't have a TFTP server running, just
set this to point to your Asterisk box, and the phone will register there
(after failing to connect to "CiscoCM1").

If you _do_ have a TFTP server: even better. You can just put some XML
files there that the phone will read its settings from.

HTH,
	Siggi