[Asterisk-Users] IBM to Run VoIP On Linux

James Sizemore james at deny.org
Sat Nov 8 01:46:35 MST 2003

Asterisk would need scalability and redundancy on the voip side to
play in the soft-switch area.  The biggest issue stopping Asterisk  having
redundancy and scalability using sip is the inability to  work  with  just
about any sip device without "canreinvite" turn off. If Asterisk could
handled reinvites correctly you could setup fallback and/or redundant
gateways to the PSTN network.   Making it a shoe in for large installs.
As it is Asterisk just can not scale from a Voip perspective.

SER would need to have some kind of PSTN trans-coding. But it
can scale!

Vocal has the redundancy and scalability, but no "real" PSTN trans-coding.
also Vocal also has serious quality control issues.

So of the big three free, yeah Asterisk would be a good place to start.
Although Vocal on paper is a little better though out. Asterisk
has a lot more working features.

But I would bet money IBM uses none of the above. <smile>