[Asterisk-Users] IBM to Run VoIP On Linux

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Nov 8 00:35:56 MST 2003

Yes, it is a well-kept secret, which is a shame since it obviously
fits so many different requirements.  Here are some late-night
musings as to why new users coming to Asterisk is only a stream when
it should be a river:

1) No >1.0 release.  In fact, no release structure at all really.
(Hold your flames: I know this is to be remedied soon, along with
backtrack patches for security/stability.)

2) No books (yet.)  This also is going to be remedied soon.

3) Advocates fall (generally) into two camps:
      a) IT staff who have much more on their minds than being VoIP
advocates, and who normally are told what to do.  Even if they have
experience with * in testbed situations, the larger vendors come in
and throw whitepapers/jargon/FUD at executive staff, who make
telephony decisions, thus overruling clueful staff.

      b) CLEC or other telephony-oriented people who will try very
hard to prevent anyone from knowing what they use, or how they use
it, since that is a competitive disadvantage if others should start
to use the same software-driven architectures.  There are some
obvious exceptions to this, but you'll very rarely see (ever?) any
posts by the two or three major IPCSP's that use Asterisk as part of
their core systems.

   There are of course others who do not fall into one of these two
camps, and those are the people being the "zealots" getting
conversions to Asterisk.  Personally, as an example, I have over two
dozen institutions, companies, and very clueful individuals that I've
introduced to Asterisk simply based on chatting with them.
(excluding clients, who already have intentions on installing
Asterisk.)  The time it takes to explain why Asterisk is so useful is
quite labor-intensive, actually, and the educational process takes
some time even with the most clueful engineering types, simply
because there are so MANY things to take into consideration with
Asterisk and any telephony questions in general.

4) Hardware vendors are still blowing enough "QOS" issues around that
it obscures open-source VoIP solutions.  "VoIP won't work" is still a
claim I hear EVERY DAY, until I disagree and tell that person that
I'm disagreeing with them over a VoIP call that crosses a continent
twice, across the public Internet (and three carriers.)  This is
obviously not Asterisk-specific, but it's certainly an issue that
scares people away from OSS solutions that don't include "magic
hardware."

5) I would say that it's becoming less of a secret, so don't give up
hope.  The almost-unmanageable flood of newbie posts to the Asterisk
lists in the last two months or so is evidence that success is
sometimes more of a headache than one would want.

In short, nothing in the above 4 "worry" items scares me, and
Asterisk is and will become the telephony platform of choice for a
large percentage of conversions to VoIP in the coming years.  Fret
not: you'll be the apache of VoIP soon enough.

JT