[Asterisk-Users] SIP protocol bug ???

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Nov 7 15:55:20 MST 2003

On 07-11 13:17, John Todd wrote:
> From what I can understand of the issue you describe, it sounds like
> the problem resides on the remote side, and not Asterisk's side.
>
> You are sending an invalid request in your first query, and the
> remote side is sending "Unauthorized", meaning that it believes you
> have supplied credentials, but they are the wrong credentials.  This
> is the end of the conversation, since both sides have given their
> "final words" on the subject.

  "Unauthorized" means that the message contained no credentials or the
  server was unable to verify the credentials. When a user agent (asterisk)
  gets an "Unauthorized" message then it is supposed to retry with proper
  credentials.

> What arguably _should_ be happening is that the remote SIP host
> should be sending "407 Proxy Authentication Required", but it's not.
> Therefore, Asterisk is behaving correctly.  This is not a bug in
> Asterisk.

  That depends on the type of the remote host. Registrars, PSTN
  gateways, and user agents send 401, proxies send 407.

  In any case asterisk should be able to handle both for any type of
  message except ACK and CANCEL (which can not be challenged).

    Jan.