[Asterisk-Users] asterisk + dual phone lines + cisco + backup

Dragan Mickovic dmickovic at verio.net
Thu Nov 6 14:08:46 MST 2003

I have couple of questions about the following. Currently I have 2 phone lines going
into my house, and I would like to have both of those coming into asterisk. I also
want to have a backup asterisk, so here are the main questions (I am knew to this so
I apologize if I ask something stupid):

- Is there a dual FXO card available from digium or do I need 2 x single FXO (if this is
  the case then I'll need 4, 2 more for the backup asterisk).
- Since I want both asterisk boxes to have the same extensions, is there any internal
  procedures that do this, or maybe procedure for getting extensions from SQL? .. as a
  worst case I can always rsync the data :)
- I have a cisco 1750 with 2FXO, is it possible to use it, has anybody done it, and if it
  can share some sample configs?
- Having both asterisk boxes using the same lines at the same time, is there anything that
  tells the box that it is primary (or backup) and if it should pickup the call (or not),
  and sample configs would be great. And in case if someone leaves voicemail, does it stay
  only on the primary asterisk, or does it get distributed on the backup as well?
- any links about this would be great, and also info on asterisk implementation of MGCP.

thanks
micko