[Asterisk-Users] Asterix - Digium replacing our current key system

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Wed Nov 5 21:56:43 MST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:42:19PM +1100, Drew Foehn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm posting to the list to get some ideas on whether or not asterisk and digium
> products would be right for my organization.  We have 3 lines that comes into

Since you are in Australia, I assume these are 3 plain lines from Telstra.

> a LG digital key (Aria-43e) system, with Digital LG phones. I have two
> questions; could we replace the digital key system with a PC running Asterix
> and keep the same phones?  Also We have about 14 users and 2 offsite offices

Depends on what standards the phones use.

At worst you can put Asterisk between your Aria and your phone lines to keep using the Aria Handsets.

At best you can just use the phones with an ADSI channel bank.  If the phones have any Austel stickers
on them then likely you can.

> and we are looking at saving costs from our long distance by using VoIP and our
> ADSL line, what would be the ideal setup for this?

I think the best way forward is to convert 2 of your lines to ISDN (giving 4 voice lines), leave the 3rd one
as ADSL/fax, and connect to asterisk with 2 AVM Fritz!Card PCI from the Australian
distributor.

To connect the phones, either get a Yank Channel bank and a T100P if the phones work that way,
or plug your Aria into a T100P or E100P if it has those interfaces, otherwise into a TDM400P or two,
depending on how many lines it supports.

The X100P is not A-ticked, neither are most yank channel banks, so you need written permission
from the Telco to go down that route.

cheers,
Woody