[Asterisk-Users] asterisk nightmare from hell!

firedude at shorelinuxsolutions.com firedude at shorelinuxsolutions.com
Wed Nov 5 18:28:26 MST 2003

Ok for those of you all up in a tizzy over my subject line, please don't
take it literally because I'm certainly not saying that asterisk is the
problem here.  I just got a little nightmare problem that I need a bit of
help figuring out.  I installed an asterisk system a few months ago for a
client, it has run almost flawlessly with the exception of a few small
glitches.  However, I got a call from my onsite liason today stating that
they had encountered a very strange problem with the telephone system.
The problem was very simple, when 2 callers today reported that when
calling the firms main number (the asterisk server I set up) they received
a menu for another business (this is my nightmare) which happened to be a
pretty mature type of business.  The one caller simply hungup, the other
caller actually pressed one of the options and it actually took him to the
voicemailbox of one of the actual persons of the actual business he was
intending to call.  Now normally I would blame this on perhaps a cross
line with my incoming Verizon PRIs or something; however what made the
story even more strange is that the menu that he got for the mature
business is a business that I also service and have installed an asterisk
server in.  The 2 asterisk servers are in no way connected to the other.
Also, me and members of my staff called the intended business all
afternoon and got their normal menu as we were supposed to so therefore I
was unable to recreate / emulate the problem.  Now there is a remote
possibility that in going through converting wav files to gsm I actually
gave one the wrong name or something accidentally since I have the same
lady do all my voice over work.  However, I doubt this is the case because
when I call the intended business and step through each of their menus /
submenus that I created it plays the correct messages.
My question is how can I go back and try to figure out exactly what
happened?  I have a very close approximation as to what time one of the
calls came in so if there were some way I could go back and pull a record
that looks something like the CLI, I could probably see exactly what
happened and correct it.  But everywhere I've looked I see no file where
I'm able to do this and nothing gives me any clues.  I've checked both
/var/log/asterisk/messages as well as /var/log/asterisk/event_log.  The
messages log shows some things from today's date but it looks mostly like
actual app stuff.  The event_log has multiple entries but the last entry
there is when I upgraded the asterisk server about 2 weeks ago.
As for a little background, I'm running a pretty straight configuration
with an incoming PRI and a 24 channelbank on the inside.  All analog
handsets.  The only exception I sometimes play around with some IAX
clients on the box but this is very limited.
Thanks alot for any suggestions, sorry if it sounds stupid.  It's just my
nightmare.
AJ