[Asterisk-Users] A real-life production scenario

Ryan Tucker rtucker at netacc.net
Wed Nov 5 12:15:44 MST 2003

Since it's all the craze, I might as well post our current Asterisk
usage.  :-)

EQUIPMENT:
  - Beefyish box (dual Xeon 2.4GHz, gig of RAM, more-than-adequate disk
space, etc) in a 1U chassis.
  - A second, slightly less beefyish box of specs I don't have handy right
now, also in a 1U.
  - 2xTE410P

CONNECTIONS:
  - 1 PRI to telco for local outbound/direct-dial inbound, 300 numbers
attached.
  - 2 PRI to another telco for toll outbound/toll-free inbound
  - 1 E&M T1 to office PBX

We offer VoIP services to our directly-connected customers, ranging from
simply taking their toll traffic to providing "virtual PBX" services, all
using Asterisk.  We've done a great variety of things (oddly, all
customers are not alike)... here's a sampling:

* Connection to our PBX
   Our PBX previously had a T1 in from a telco using an E&M trunk, with 4
digits on the DNIS.  When we had the Asterisk stuff stabilized, we wanted
to move over to it ASAP because LD was much cheaper.  (That, and the T1
wasn't the cheapest T1 we have here...)

   We disconnected one of the extra toll PRI's and, in its place, put the
T1 from the telco.  We then connected (using a crossover) the PBX to the
TE410P.  Various switching magic was performed (this was the point where I
realized it's only getting 4 digits on the DNIS) and inbound calls were
sent over to the PBX.  Outbound calls from the PBX were switched like our
VoIP calls.  Following this, we ordered porting of that block of numbers
over to the inbound PRI.

   The telco did it about 5pm on a Wednesday afternoon with no
notification.  Unfortunately, I had slightly bungled the exten => entry
for calls coming in via that route.  Fortunately, it was easy enough to
fix, and was fixed before I got about the fourth swear word out of my
mouth.  The CDR file captured the caller ID on the confrangled calls, and
our support department called them back promptly, and everyone was happy.

* Customer with their own POTS lines wanting VoIP service
   One of our VoIP customers was in the interesting position of wanting the
phone lines at their office, terminated analogly.  We had a Mediatrix
gateway in for testing, and decided to deploy it there.  The Mediatrix was
configured to send inbound calls to the Asterisk box, as well as gate 911
calls from the Asterisk to the PSTN (so that, when they call 911, it shows
up with *their* location instead of *ours*).  Calls from the Mediatrix
successfully make it to Asterisk (with caller ID) where they ring the
receptionist phone for 10 seconds then go to an
auto-attendant/voicemail/etc.  The Mediatrix doesn't answer (and therefore
doesn't pass the call) until around the second ring, which is annoying,
but them's the breaks.

There's a bunch of other situations as well, but basically, it'll do most
things.  :-)  -rt

--
Ryan Tucker
Network Engineer