[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Wed Nov 5 08:36:18 MST 2003

Gavin Hamill wrote:

>It would seem an odd question, but I'm trying to put together a little
>presentation on 'Why Asterisk?' and need to list Pros and Cons.... I've
>got plenty of Pros (including the availability of commercial support),
>but the only Con I can think of is 'Relatively few installations
>worldwide'
>
>Can anyone think of any others?

No built in high availability or clustering options making it as
reliable as the harware, OS and apps..

Last time I looked it up PC systems combined hardware components average
reliability was about 96% uptime(This was a while back so the percentage
may not be accurate).. This is a problem for telecom's system whos
uptime is usually measured in years and not a percentage of 1 year..

No flames please, I realise that there are issues involved with the PSTN
lines, channel banks and some other things in a clustered senario..

Later..