[Asterisk-Users] Reasons why I shouldn't use Asterisk?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Nov 5 08:31:40 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:08, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> It would seem an odd question, but I'm trying to put together a little
> presentation on 'Why Asterisk?' and need to list Pros and Cons.... I've
> got plenty of Pros (including the availability of commercial support),
> but the only Con I can think of is 'Relatively few installations
> worldwide'

Your listed con is only a con if you have to point to others failures to
cover your own. It is lemming thinking.

> Can anyone think of any others?

If your company has a few decent programmers with a good knowledge of
open source software and software debugging, the few access of the
source code is the greatest PRO.

I think the only Con we could think up when we initially deployed was
our question of the longevity of the Digium company. Every time I get to
hear from Mark about how the company is doing, the less this concern
becomes. This was only a concern because of the need to have affordable
and well supported channels into asterisk. We choose to download all the
software at that point and all the schematics and information, burn it
to CD, and store it away in our lock box as a safety net.

I'd say the only other cons you could list are really in driver support
areas right now, but knowing that those are moving targets and can
potentially be fixed or avoided lowers those risks.