[Asterisk-Users] Demo Weather Report AGI v2.0

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Nov 5 08:18:06 MST 2003

Cepestral was installed and working within 10 mins of my decision to
purchase it.  It's $30.00 and can be purchased on their web site and
they give you a download.  They have a demp on their website that will
do text-to-speech and give you a .wav file to download and listen to.
Download, unpack it, run their install.sh, answer a couple of questions,
read the man page and you're done.

With Festival I had to figure out exactly which tarballs to download
(there was a total of 18 tarballs to download if you count all the
Festival voices plus the MBROLA voices), then I had to figure out how to
install Festival, then MBROLA, I never have figured out how to actually
INSTALL festival, I just run it out of the source directory.  It's very
picky about paths and such.

I'm not a big fan of commercial software.  For TTS most of the software
either is Windows only or costs several thousand dollars (and sometimes
both).  If it's a choice between spending two thousand for something
like Rhetorical TTS or using Festival, I'll pick Festival.  If it's a
choice between spending thirty dollars for a TTS system or using
Festival, I'll happily spend the $30.

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 02:59, rnc Info Lists wrote:
> > Some of you may know me as ManxPower from #Asterisk at irc.freenode.,net
> >
> > I've posted my demp weather report Asterisk AGI script at
> > http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/downloads/
> >

> Eric,
> Can you comment on the difference in installation ease for Festival and
> Cepstral?
>
> Regards,
> Robert
Sample configs, scripts, more : http://www.fnords.org/~eric/asterisk/

BTEL Consulting 504-899-1387 or 850-484-4545 or 877-677-9643