[Asterisk-Users] http://www.skype.com/

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Nov 5 03:47:20 MST 2003

Alastair Maw wrote:

> On 05/11/03 10:14, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>> As I understand it they must not be fully peer-to-peer even if they
>> use your bandwidth, there has to be media servers in their network,
>> handling calls. Or?
>

> No, the whole point is that it's completely decentralized. More
> interesting to end users is that the calls are encrypted and can
> traverse NAT. The way Skype can bounce between peers effectively enables
> it to provide a few different routes for the traffic, from which it
> picks the least latency one. Add a nice UI, and it's not surprising that
> it's gathering speed rapidly.

So all peers exchange traffic constantly over UDP to keep NAT bindings open?
And a central server to set it all up... Hmmm.

Interesting. If I have a network connection with low latency and use SKype,
the risk is that my network bogs down with the automatic routing of calls
to my connection...

Maybe we should develop IAX3 with automatic p2p routing/latency handling? :-)

/O