[Asterisk-Users] http://www.skype.com/

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Wed Nov 5 03:36:01 MST 2003

On 05/11/03 10:14, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> As I understand it they must not be fully peer-to-peer even if they
> use your bandwidth, there has to be media servers in their network,
> handling calls. Or?

No, the whole point is that it's completely decentralized. More
interesting to end users is that the calls are encrypted and can
traverse NAT. The way Skype can bounce between peers effectively enables
it to provide a few different routes for the traffic, from which it
picks the least latency one. Add a nice UI, and it's not surprising that
it's gathering speed rapidly.

--
Alastair Maw