[Asterisk-Users] Anyone using * in a live production environment?

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 4 09:56:16 MST 2003

Gavin Hamill wrote:

>Hullo again, all :)
>
>If you're using * to run telephony in a real business environment, can I
>trouble you to write a short paragraph about the setup, and how you've
>found the migration / daily use?

Well, it's not technically a business, but we are running "*" for our
research lab with the following hardware:

    4 analog POTS lines
    ADTRAN TSU-600
    FXO and FXS Plugins
    20 GS budgetone 100, 2 Analog phones
    Asus A7V, 900MHz Athalon, 256 MB Ram, 60GB hard disk
    100BaseT Ethernet environment using BayStack 450 switches
    Digium T100P
    RH9
    APC Smart-Ups 700

Notes: The choice of the channel bank was based on the possibility of
future expansion for handling several other labs (and the fact that I
got is and 6-V.35 cards, which I', not using) for $99 on e-bay). The
installed infrastructure for the phone system at our University dictated
our choice of POTS lines. We were also not given any choice about the
Baystack switches . The Budgetone phones are probably not the ideal
solution for a larger installation (yet), but met our needs perfectly,
perform very well and are easy to set up and install.  The analog phones
are to provide emergency service during power failures.  The UPS is
sized small because we have emergency power failover after about 30
seconds. The CPU and MOBO choices were based on experience with the
products. A word of warning: Echo WILL be a potential problem on any
system that has a transition point from POTS 2-wire lines to a  TDM
environment (see my previous posting).  Here are some suggestions about
dealing with it:

    1) Use the highest possible CPU speed.
             Why: The single greatest problem with software echo
cancellation is the computational intensity of the autocorrelation
needed to determine the amount of echo at each discrete delay time.  If
the CPU is slow, the canceller will not be able to keep up with the real
time nature of the computations.

    2) Enable MMX options (assuming that you have a CPU which supports it).
             Why: Same as in item 1.  In my case, this provided the
single greatest improvement.

    3) Lower the number of taps in the echo canceller.
             Why: While this may seem counter intuitive, since the
number of taps determines the amount of delay the canceller can deal
with, most of the time the delay you hear is much longer than the delay
seen by the echo canceller.  Decreasing the number of taps reduces the
size of the autocorrelation and reduces the comptational load.  This
allows the canceller to learn faster and keep up more easily.

    4) Turn off the KDE, etc.
        Why:  Saves computation cycles for the echo cancellation.  This
is no joke, you can get on the phone, start up the desktop and hear the
echo return.

    5) Attempt to balance the hybrid at the 2-line to 4 line interface.
            Why:  99% of the time, this is where the echo originates and
this is where is should be fixed.  Unfortunately, this is not for the
faint of heart, but if your line card has a hybrid balance adjustment
(many don't), use it.  Also, with multiple simultaneous calls, this may
be the only real solution.  Part of the problem arises from the use of
lower impedance telephone wiring nowdays. The typical characteristic
impedance of Cat5 twisted pair is about 100 ohms and many line cards are
optimized for a 600 ohm line. This is made worse if the DC resistance of
the wiring to the CO switch is relatively low.  I haven't tried this
myself, but you might try something as simple as a 500 ohm variable
resistor in series with the ring line and adjust for minimum echo.  If
it gets worse, you haven't lost anything, just take the resistor out of
the line. If it works, measure the value of the resistor when set for
minimum echo and replace it with a fixed value resistor.

    6) Try messing with Tx and Rx gains.
          Why: This is a reincarnation of the technique used to cancel
echo on long lines in the early part of the 20th century. The idea is
that the perception of echo gets worse as echo volume increases and as
delay increases.  You can sometimes reduce echo to an "acceptable" level
if you attenuate it enough, especially if the echo canceller takes care
of part of it.  The problem is that you will likely run into
unacceptably low volume levels.  That's why this technique was abandoned
by the PSTN: You've all seen the movies of people in the 1920's yelling
into phones on long distance calls!

Finally, while I had to do some head scratching and a lot of reading to
get the system set up, I would have to say that the installation went
without any major problems.  Once configured, it runs flawlessly and
requires very little maintainence.

Steve Besch