[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk behind LinkSys NAT Routing

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Mon Nov 3 19:24:23 MST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:00:44 +1100, Anthony Wood wrote

> Internals can use the IP address of the NAT box as the Asterisk
> Server IP and then it should work.
>
> i.e. don't set your internal SIP UAs to connect to the internal IP
> address of the Asterisk Server.
>
> The fix allows asterisk to work together with the NAT box to appear
> to all concerned as if it has a real IP address.

That only true for some NAT implementations and configurations.
It is not robust in general. It would require double the ipfilter
configuration and double the traffic on my NetBSD gateway, for
example. The patch I submitted last week addresses this problem.

Cheers,
-w