[Asterisk-Users] High Availability and Mass Deployment for Asterisk

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com
Mon Nov 3 11:30:18 MST 2003

<quote who="WipeOut">
> You are right in what you are saying.. I was thinking back to the
> original message that started this thread that talked about load
> balancing VoIP clients accross multiple servers.. Thats where my
> comments came from.. :)

My goof, for not reading the start of the thread.

That is even tougher still.

Also, using a shared resource (VoIP access) to access a none shared
resource (PSTN access), will be very hard.  You would almost need to put
the PSTN access on a third node, that is not clustered.

Then when a call is made (any call, to PSTN or otherwise) would be locked
to a node.  Think of the full duration of a call as a transaction.

This would have to be buried deap in Asterisk and the kernel.  The kernel
to do the network side of load balancing.  And, Asterisk to keep state.
Also, Asterisk would need to know which node is primary for which session.
Asterisk will need to not do anything with a VoIP session that it is not
the primary node for, unless it is taking over that session on behalf of a
non-operational node.

For this complexity, you are now really asking for the phones to fail.

I think the best and most stable way is to partition your dialplan and
assign X VoIP clients per Asterisk server.

--
END OF LINE