[Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

Grzegorz Nosek blackfire at metal.art.pl
Mon Nov 3 05:42:43 MST 2003

Hello,

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:24:32 -0600, David Gomillion wrote
> I can understand the size concerns for putting it in an
> appliance or what-not.  However, my opinion is that, due to
> the low cost of hard disk space, it is cheaper for the
> company to go out and buy another hard disk to replace the
> extra 500 MB they wasted on a sub-optimal installation than
> to pay me to try to get the installation as small as possible.
you're absolutely right here, for the cost of a 128mb cf card i can
get a 40gb hdd, where the space is not a concern

> What are the benefits to a really tiny installation, aside
> from possible appliance applications?  Moreover, won't you
> still need a sizable hard disk for voice prompts, voicemail
> messages, sound file to direct people to dial the correct
> extension, etc?
what i thought about was a closed box with some web interface that
could serve as a voip gateway (and possibly as, say, web proxy/cache
held on tmpfs?) not being a full blown server (there's a difference
between convincing people to put a 30x30 box somewhere and making
them put a high-tech server with raid, streamers & whatnots. having
the system run from a read-only medium (like a cf card with a tmpfs
overlay - see http://translucency.sourceforge.net though haven't
tried it yet) removes the need for backups & extended reliability
(nothing changes and if the data is somehow lost, restoring it is
trivial). furthermore, if the fs is on a solid state device (not a
hdd or cd), there are no moving parts (except for a cpu/sys fan),
improving hardware robustness and reducing noise level. as for
voicemail, etc. you can put another hdd (capacity!) in there just for
that or keep it in ram (speed+no moving parts+cheaper than cf and
voicemail tends to have rather short life-time - or doesn't it?). if
the hdd breaks or you get a blackout, oh well, you lose at most some
voicemail. if i could fit an * distro in 20mb (seems reasonable if
started from a floppy-distro), it leaves me 100mb for voice prompts,
which should be enough.

> Again, I may be WAY off track, but one of the things I
> really like about * is that I can update it easily.
> Wouldn't you lose some of the beauty by putting it in an appliance?
you can build asterisk on another machine and update it via, say, scp
to your heart's desire

> Moreover, I HATE Nortel because they have a user-unfriendly
> interface, proprietary controls, non-standard connections,
> and the like.  It seems to me that by appliance-izing we
> would be inviting the same abuses that the current systems
> enjoy.  I could see it becoming an issue of open-source
> software on extremely proprietary hardware, meaning the user
> can modify their system if they can figure out how to get in
> it.
what about ssh? the sshd isn't *this* heavy, is it? putting * in a
closed box is appliance-izing it [nice word :)] in the eyes of the
end-user (clicks here and there w/o all the *.conf voodoo), but
leaves full power to the more competent users who can figure their
way through ssh and asterisk's conf files

> Of course, all of this is in the assumption that the end-
> user wants to own their PBX.  I know I do.  I think that we
> should be focusing on a useful administrative interface,
> database-based extension definitions, and other features
> that will advance the power, flexibility, and usability of *
> instead of shrinking the distro as much as possible.
i think we should aim both to scale up (like, 10k+ phone systems
running *) and down (home pbx system with a fritz or x100p and zero
initial knowledge required). btw, my shrinking of the * distro to a
few dozen mb doesn't stand in the way of expanding your server farm,
does it?

> What am I missing?  I see many people much smarter than I am
> excited about this, so I am sure I simply failed to consider
> how it will revolutionize everything.
Not that it'll revolutionize anything, it's simply opening another
(however niche) market for *.

> Awaiting your enlightenment (preferably sans-flame),
> David Gomillion

regards,
 grzegorz nosek