[Asterisk-Users] a bit frightened, guys

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 3 05:25:01 MST 2003

> 2. legal issues (what happens when an employee needs to call
> emergency personnel and the phone system doesn't work for whatever
> reason)

I was worried about this until I realized that commercial systems were _no_
different in this regard.  My current Meridian system is a PC in a fancy
box with a UPS.  The Toshiba and Panasonic and Siemens systems I've seen
are no different.  You're still "dialing by wire" in any PBX or KSU.  I've
tested the 911 capability of * and, using an extension trick given from the
#asterisk IRC channel, dialling 911 just plays "You will dial 911 in 5
seconds.  If this was done in error, hang up now" before actually zapping a
trunk line (if all are busy) and dialling out.  Hell my Meridian system
doesn't even do that now!

Regards.
Andrew