[Asterisk-Users] High Availability and Mass Deployment for Asterisk

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com
Mon Nov 3 04:53:53 MST 2003

<quote who="WipeOut">
> Sharing the config files is the smallest problem.. its sharing SIP
> session and reistration information that is more of an issue..
>
> And managing the data flows..

I wouldn't really worry about that.  What happens when current PBX's
fail.  Does another PBX automaticaly come up and take over the PRI lines?

The current expectation is that on PBX failure, current communications are
broken and need to be re-established when the system comes up.

If you are deploying for VoIP only, then network sync and failover is
sort-of do-able.  But, if it is being deployed with a hybrid (TDM and VoIP),
then it gets hairy.  I would expect that failover of the TDM side (without
interuption) would be the hardest and most costly to implement.

I would have a hot standby that gets syncs of dynamic data (voicemail,
config changes...).  On primary failure, the hot standby gets the
primary's
IP and someone gets to move the PRI (or other TDM connections) lines.

It is kind of the same thing as if a channel bank failed.

--
END OF LINE