IAX2 Java library (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] New IAX software phone (for WIndows platform))

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Mon Nov 3 03:48:57 MST 2003

On 03/11/03 00:25, Mark Spencer wrote:

> As a side note, I strongly would like to see someone implement a
> client using libiax2 which implements IAX2 instead of the (now
> obsolescent) IAX version 1.

I'm implementing a Java-based IVR server (and yes, I know Asterisk does
IVR, and no, it's not flexible enough to do what I want and no, it
doesn't integrate well with the Java systems we have, etc. hence my
doing this).

Currently it uses SIP (using the NIST JAIN-SIP stack) and JMF to handle
RTP/audio stuff. I've found that JMF/RTP doesn't scale very well, as it
spawns a *lot* of threads, and can't reliably handle more than 20
simultaneous calls.

So, I'm investigating the possibility of writing an IAX library for
Java. Searching the archives, it seems various other people would be
interested in this. So, my questions are:

  - Should I implement IAX or IAX2? What's the main difference, other
    than IAX2 supporting trunking (which according to the docs needs a
    Zaptel timing source).

  - Has anyone else made any headway with this?

  - Is anyone else interested in making this an LGPL or even a GPL
    project and helping me with it? I'm likely to implement just the
    call management/DTMF/audio type stuff required for IVR initially
    (i.e. not worry about call xfer, etc.). It'll also be geared towards
    handling the hundreds of simultaneous calls required in a server
    environment, although there'll be no reason not to use it for IAX
    clients too.

Obviously such a library would enable a nice GUI cross-platform IAX(2?)
client to be easily created, which would be a nice by-product.

--
Alastair Maw
MX Telecom