[Asterisk-Users] Passing audio stream through Asterisk or not?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat May 31 19:35:55 MST 2003

Because your original question asked about G.723, which Asterisk
cannot transcode because there is no codec support for it within
Asterisk.

(voice) data between two endpoints, pretty much any codec can be
used, since Asterisk doesn't have to interpret the data stream for
any reason - it's just moving the data around, and not "listening" or
"talking" in the stream.  However, if you want to do something clever
with that data/sound stream, such as listening for the "#" key (the
"t" option in a Dial statement) then you'll need to be using a codec
that Asterisk understands (G711, gsm, iLIBC, etc.)

JT