[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk IAX over VSAT satellite.

Simon Woodhead woodheads at gonegardening.com
Thu May 29 12:39:16 MST 2003

Hey Jim,

All sounds good.

We tried a satellite system here a few months ago but couldn't get on with
it. Glad you've had more success. In theory, it shouldn't matter whether the
TCP/IP link between your sites is going over satellite, modem or any other
medium but the issues we found with satellite that would be particularly
damaging for VoIP were as follows:

- Latency. You're onto this one already by the sounds of it. We were seeing
750ms pings so you're looking at delays of around 1 second; 1.5-2 seconds
for someone to hear what you've said and reply. That doesn't prevent a
conversation but might make it sound a little strange to the other party who
doesn't know what is going on.

- Upstream. We had a system with 2Mbps downstream but since the upstream is
the expensive part for providers to provide it is usually much much
smaller - ours was only 128k. That is one call for many codecs without
allowing for any other use you'll be making of the line. G.729 would improve
this a lot as you've spotted.

- Drop-outs. A satellite system should theoretically provide continuous
service like a leased line or modem connection so you shouldn't get call
dropouts. However, we found that we'd lose all connectivity from our
provider for several seconds at a time. It could have been a peculiarity of
the way they were prioritising traffic, routing, excessive contention or
even the non-TCP/IP method for the dish<>sat<>dish part of the link but it
seems whenever other customers were making heavy downloads others would slow
down to just a few bps or drop out completely. That wouldn't be good for the
quality of any calls in progress even if the connection was maintained.

I'm not meaning to be negative or dash your enthusiasm but if I had a choice
of links to do VoIP over, satellite would be at the bottom, even below
modems. Our experience could be unique of course and if you own both ends of
the link then you have far more control over the issues I've mentioned,
other than latency of course.

All the best,
Simon