[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk IAX over VSAT satellite.

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu May 29 11:47:17 MST 2003

Hi all,

For some reason VSAT or Satellite Internet services are not mentioned
(or searchable) in this list's archives.  I thought I'd let you know
that I tested Asterisk using IAX (not IAX2) to make a phone call from
an analog phone hooked up to an Asterisk system behind a Linksys router
connected to a Gilat VSAT satmodem, and it worked.

The "other end" (gateway) is a P200MMX with a X100P FXO card.  I have
bi-directional calling set up so that the VSAT-phone can make outbound
calls using the X100P in the gateway, and if the X100P gets a ring it
answers and transfers the call to the analog phone on the other side
of the VSAT.

There is about a 1-2 second propagation delay in voice from the VSAT
phone, as expected.  The echo is not bad at all, and the voice quality
is quite good.

I don't think the VSAT network was very busy so I don't know how well
this will work if the available bandwidth is less.  We are not using the
G.729 codec - just gsm.  I have tos=reliable set in iax.conf.  I didn't
get disconnected during my test calls, but they weren't very long in
duration.

I haven't tried a fax but maybe I will.

Anyway congratulations Mark et al on your fine work making such a robust
VoIP system.  Thanks!

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/