[Asterisk-Users] T1-PRI deployment questions...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu May 29 08:24:33 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 10:04, John Harragin wrote:
> I am ordering T1-PRI service from local service provider and have a few
> questions.
>
> Is there framing and coding considerations (or is it all one standard), if
> so what is best?
>
> How are calls routed based on DIDs - are these just dtmf tones passed after
> the call is picked up and treated as normal exten=> definitions?

I'll answer this since I just had mine installed and went through this.

Signalling comes in just a few options at the base level and is specific
to the T1 transport. Your options are ESF or D4 for framing, and AMI or
B8ZS for error detection.

Your PRI rides on top of the T1 transport. In the PRI your DIDs are
passed as part of the call setup in Q.931 packets on the D channel.
Specifically you will place all your incoming PRI lines into a context
in extentions.conf and then you will make extensions with the incoming
phone numbers or part there of if your telco provider isn't sending the
whole called number. In these extension deffinitions you can redirect
the calls to either the appropriate IVR menu, or an internal extention.