[Asterisk-Users] Who would use Asterisk SS7?

Patrick idefix at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu May 29 02:27:16 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 02:36, asterisk at sasami.anime.net wrote:
> On 24 May 2003, Thilo Salmon wrote:
> > The other issue is a legal one. In order to connect to the incumbent
> > telco your equipment has to be certified. I believe unless quite a few
> > of us get together, this one might be a real problem.

The SS7 equipment from Lucent, Nortel, Alcatel are likely already
certified with the carrier you want to link to. If not, they are happy
to make that happen for you. Also, in Europe you will not get an SS7
link to a carrier unless you are a licensed carrier yourself.

> Easy solution -- Have * talk to SS7-certified equipment. Cisco comes to
> mind. They have SS7 gateways that could talk with * as do many others. You
> can use * to cut out the expensive hardware and only use the bare minimum
> of the vendor's setup to talk to SS7.
>
> -Dan

Whatever * is able to cut out, you still need a serious telco budget to
actually get the SS7 solution. Given customer requirements, you pass the
$500,000 mark in the blink of an eye. And that does not include a
service contract for the kit for as long as it is in service.  This may
still make sense to some though. If I were to make such investments I
would:
* become a licensed carrier
* install SS7 interconnection gear with all major carriers in the
designated area
* negotiate termination service fees as high as possible
* get tons of traffic to my network by offering ??? to customers
* profit!

Suggestions on the "???" part are most welcome :)

Regards,
Patrick