[Asterisk-Users] About Channel Banks

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed May 28 14:20:23 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:34, Ricardo Saar Gemignani wrote:
> Hello
>
>    I'm starting to learn about Asterisk and trying to install the first one.
> I've a doubt. Here in Brazil the Telecom Standards uses E1. So, I'll use a
> Wildcard E100P to inter-connect with 30 POTS.
>    Should I use a Channel Bank or simply a Multiplexer?
>    Whats the difference between a channel bank and a multiplexer??

A channel bank is a multiplexer. It also is a demultiplexer. It depends
only on which direction you are looking from. From a E1, it is a
demultiplexer.

>    Can I use any?

As long as it meets your needs.

>    The real question is: How to connect Analog Phones to Asterisk using by
> output an E1?

First, you need to get FXO ports for the converting of the POTS lines to
E1 to be imported into asterisk. Then you need one with FXS ports to be
connected to asterisk to drive analog extensions.

You may want to make a smaller step first. Check with your telco and see
if they will drop a E1 into your location to replace the 30 POTS lines.
If so, they may even provide a channel bank to ease the transition. You
may even be able to get them to either lease it to you, or give it to
you for a certain contract length. This would reduce your needs to get
started as you are only looking at a single DA conversion and less
signalling problems. Also you put the cost off onto your telco for part
of the install.

Your E1 hopefully is cheaper than 30 POTS lines if you are close to a
CO.