[Asterisk-Users] 2 4-port T1 cards

Ron Gage ron at rongage.org
Wed May 28 12:36:07 MST 2003

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 02:30 pm, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:02, Joe Antkowiak wrote:
> > 1.  Voicemail, and the voicemail itself will be stored on another box,
> > NFS mounted, or I might use mysql.  There will be a little bit of call
> > routing via iax to a separate * box with a channel bank on it.
>
> Don't use Mysql. if you ever have had to deal with it in a production
> environment that works it over, you will know that as it reaches it's
> limits, it starts a death spiral that is very difficult to recover from.
> For our software on a dual P3 866 with a gig of ram, the limit was
> around 1.5 queries a second fairly mixed update, inserts, and selects.
> Total file size of the database was under 200meg, and was fully cached
> so even though we had hardware raid 5 across 4 10K rpm ultra160 drives,
> it shouldn't have mattered for the selects.

Um...

I suppose that if MySQL can't handle more than 1.5 operations a second,
someone should tell the folks at Slashdot and Yahoo that their choice of a DB
engine isn't going to scale too well.

For that matter, I suppose that GIS database I have here (the entire Tiger
census data for the state of Michigan - 1.2 million type A records alone)
isn't capable of handling more than 1.5 transactions a second.  So, when I
generate an AutoCAD script from the database records (generates a full-scale
road map of the entire state of Michigan), it shouldn't be capable of running
in under 10 minutes (at 1.5 transactions a second, it would take 13,333
minutes to run the script).

I would strongly suggest that something is seriously messed up with your MySQL
implementation if you are only capable of getting 1.5 transactions a second
before the "spiral of death".

For comparison, I am running Mysql 4.0.12 on Slackware 9.0.  AMD XP1800, 1 gig
memory, single 73 gig SCSI-Wide drive, Adaptec 29160 controller.  It can do a
select distinct across the 1.2 million records in under 4 seconds.

--
Ron Gage - Owner
Linux Network Services