[Asterisk-Users] 2 4-port T1 cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed May 28 11:30:05 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:02, Joe Antkowiak wrote:
> 1.  Voicemail, and the voicemail itself will be stored on another box, NFS
> mounted, or I might use mysql.  There will be a little bit of call routing
> via iax to a separate * box with a channel bank on it.

Don't use Mysql. if you ever have had to deal with it in a production
environment that works it over, you will know that as it reaches it's
limits, it starts a death spiral that is very difficult to recover from.
For our software on a dual P3 866 with a gig of ram, the limit was
around 1.5 queries a second fairly mixed update, inserts, and selects.
Total file size of the database was under 200meg, and was fully cached
so even though we had hardware raid 5 across 4 10K rpm ultra160 drives,
it shouldn't have mattered for the selects.

Also, NFS mounting of the voicemail for such a large install is probably
not the best idea. Unless you really need it available to another
machine, you _may_ want to rethink this idea. NFS can be a major speed
hit on a machine, especially if the client is overworked. Also if you
are planning on running most all the channels to voicemail, then do you
think you are going to be able to have your NFS server keep high speed
writing going so as not to slow you asterisk machine down with it's 96
channels running full tilt?