[Asterisk-Users] Caller-ID questions and suggestions

Miguel Cruz mnc-asterisk at u.nu
Tue May 27 20:52:54 MST 2003

1.

It would be very helpful if the voicemail module included the caller-ID
info (name and number) in the "Subject" line. Otherwise, looking at the
list of messages is like looking at an INBOX without a "From" column.

I patched app_voicemail.c quickly, but it would be even better if this
were a configuration option (since some installations don't have
caller-ID information available, and "...from unknown" would just be a
waste of time).

2.

When calls come in to an ATA-186 with a garden-variety caller-ID display
attached, the date and time always show up as 01/01 12:00. I am not sure
whether this is because nothing is getting sent, because a mis-formatted
date is getting sent, or because the ATA-186 is incapable of sending the
time/date to the display. In either case it's annoying for me since I use
that as my desk clock! Any solutions would be very welcome.

3.

Caller-ID name information is sent with "double quotes" around it, at
least when it's fetched from the database using LookupCIDName. This wastes
precious display space.

4.

There seems to be no way to distinguish between "Out of Area" and
"Private/Withheld" in extensions.conf. I see in the zaptel source code
that the distinction is available when the data is being read from the
line. Since those really are different situations, it would be great to be
able to differentiate between them.

miguel