[Asterisk-Users] Monitor with Mp3 format

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue May 27 09:24:44 MST 2003

Though I think .mp3 encoding is an interesting idea, even though
inefficient at some levels.  One benefit is that there are dozens of
.mp3 players on the market, with extremely sophisticated library
functions.  Being able to archive calls in one of the .mp3 library
programs might be of some use.  However, .wav is almost always
playable by those same programs, so perhaps only .gsm is problematic
(sorry, not a Windoze expert, don't know the apps there very well.)

Another possible use for encoding into .mp3 would be to send the
output to a pipe, which would in turn connect to a streaming server
such as "shoutcast" or "icecast", which would in turn then allow lots
of "standard" applications to re-broadcast the audio stream.  The
lack of an paging (and intercom) feature most SIP phones is a
serious, serious problem in the business world and this might offer
another tool to partially get around that shortcoming.

JT