[Asterisk-Users] SMS Service over SIP/IAX/h323/MCGP

Markku Korpi korpim at cosini.com
Sun May 25 02:56:44 MST 2003

The problem I have had with many SMS email gateways, is that they do not
allow to reply back. Of course, email is a superior service over SMS, but
does not really replace it ( - at least not until all the mobile phones have
email access on them...).

It would be nice if the SMS service would be available not only on
GSM/GPRS/etc., but also on any telephone number in the world  - or at least
on every * number... ;-).
(...including confirmation that the message was delivered).

Since SMS is an application it should work over different signaling
protocols in the same way. Then the user should not need to know what kind
of device the other end is using in order to send an SMS and to receive SMSs
back.

Therefore, in my opinion, if an SMS type of service is to be implemented
over SIP/IAX/h323/MCGP it should follow the appropriate GSM procedures quite
closely, in order to make the interworking as easy as possible.

There is a fresh draft of SMS for H.323.
You can find it under http://standard.pictel.com/ftp/avc-site/0305_Gen/ with
name  H.450.sms_Draft_8May2003.zip
As any of the H.450 features, it is very straightforward to implement... ;-)

True, the above specification happens to use the ASN.1 coding (since it is
for H.323), but it would be a simple change to carry the same procedures
(including confirmations, etc.) over other types of messages and information
elements/presentations, e.g. over IAX or SIP.

The MGCP (or Megaco/H.248) implementation would not need SMS specific
implementation, I think, because the * would terminate the SMS procedures
and use the MGCP display/key/softkey primitives to implement a user
interface on an MGCP compliant phone.

--Markku