[Asterisk-Users] Cisco ATA186/Asterisk registration - weird behavior

Paul Cheng asterisk at klarium.com
Fri May 23 12:42:32 MST 2003

Hi,

I have two Cisco ATA186s that are set up to connect to an Asterisk box
via SIP. One is on the local LAN and not natted, the other is on a
remote LAN behind a NAT router. Both boxes are running v2.16 firmware.
They can both register with the Asterisk box, but after they are idle
for a while, either they or the Asterisk box "lose" the connection
(i.e. stop being registered). Strangely enough, though, the Cisco that
is on the LAN has two analog telephones connected to the ATA: x801 is
Phone 1, x802 is Phone 2. x802 stays registered as verified with "sip
show registry", but x801 does not (even though it is the same box!).
Outbound calls can be placed from all 3 phones (only 1 phone is
connected to the remote ATA), but only the extension that stays
registered can receive inbound calls.

The Max Expiry is set to 60 and the Ciscos keep registering, but
somewhere along the way, something is dropping on the registry. If I
terminate Asterisk and restart, sometimes it resets. The only way to
continually keep them registered is to kill Asterisk, power off the
Ciscos and then restart Asterisk, and then power on the Ciscos.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this? I think I saw a post about
Ciscos becoming unregistered after 2 hours--does anyone have any
insights? Thanks in advance.