Please remove H.323 from Asterisk (was H.323 support is distrubuted with Asterisk (was Re: [Asterisk-Users] chan_oh323.so: Segmentation Fault))

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at souja.net
Fri May 23 08:06:26 MST 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 10:09:22AM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> A segfault is not my fault. It's caused by the developer, you, who've done
> something wrong. I've used the exact same versions of pwlib and openh323 as
> you're developing on, but I've used Debian instead of RedHat, and therefore
> you don't want to support this. This arrogancy is something an open source
> project shouldn't have.
>
> Mark: Please remove chan_h323, will you?

<soapbox>
Fault?  You are running the CVS version.  That is your fault.
If you are not happy with the features of the stable release, you have
the option to use the development release.  Of course it will have
segfaults, it's in development.

One of the hallmarks of successful OSS project is a project
leader/primary coder with a good sense of vision.  One that will take the big
development pushes necessary to put the product where it needs to be.  I
think Mark is doing just fine, in that regard.  I think that he's right
that h323 needs to be there.  It's only the standard.

Finally, users that railroad through bad technical decisions are the
biggest bane of the commercial world.  Developing of software for the
almighty dollar (or deutchmark...) causes its own problems with this.
It think that arrogant customers/users like that, with unreasonable
requests that ignore the basic realities of getting a sound technical
framework, are truly something that open source shouldn't have.
</soapbox>

FYI, I run Debian and get no crash.  Next?  You do run stable, right...

How about a slightly less heavy handed solution.  Make H323 a module, so
we can just not load it.  Does the noload syntax (in modules.conf)
prevent initializing internal modules?  Could it?

Jayson