[Asterisk-Users] ISDN FXS for home use

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Fri May 23 00:06:22 MST 2003

Hi Oliver,

At 04:27 23-5-2003 +0200, you wrote:
> > As long as Asterisk only has to provide TE side you can pretty much use
> any
> > Isdn4Linux supported card. IMHO CAPI is nicer, but also more costly.
>I belive TE side means asterisk akts like a phone but you can't dial in
>like a phonesystem. Could you tell me what TE stands for and what the
>other side is calld? What is IMHO CAPI? I of course know what CAPI is
>it's just the IMHO part.

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion :-)

Ofcourse TE side means Asterisk plays the role of a telephone, however,
once it answers a call you can easily emulate PBX-features in it. Also,
there are some PBX'es which really allow tight integration by assigning
additional MSN's to ports or allow DTMF to come in delayed (there is a
special name, but I forgot it ;)

> > Have patience, you can use HFC ISDN cards to do NT mode, but they way
> to do
> > it still pretty much sucks right now. However, some work is being done
> as I
> > understand it. One problem you will have remaining is support. I don't
> > think it will be entirely trivial to make asterisk failover by bridging
> > incoming to outgoing lines (esp. with ISDN) right now.
>
>Now we are talking. Looked at their site and this seams to be what I'm
>looking for. I'll try to find out more about the status of these cards.
>Hopefully this will work soon, as this is would round up hardware for *
>boxes nicely, at least for me ;-)

I hope so too :-)

Met vriendelijke groet,
Florian Overkamp